Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pulled pork bbq story for the video

Below this blog entry is a video on how to bake a pork shoulder roast into pulled pork sandwich meat. The thing I hate about blogger is that it will let you do something, in this case, upload a video, and then you spend an hour writing it, then you hit "publish post", then the mother****** tells you that you can't write a story with an embedded video!!! Which is why there are 2 separate stories, one written and one video!

I've always been a fan of pulled pork bbq sandwiches, and have tried various methods over the years to make them to my liking. I've either roasted the pork shoulder in the oven or used a crock pot, with decent results. However, I came across this method and I think it's the best yet. 210 degrees for 13 hours takes some advance planning, but it is insanely easy to do. I've made it this way twice, and these are my observations:
-13 hours isn't necessary. In fact, I think it's too long and you lose some of the moisture. I've gone 12 hours both times and will try 11 hours next time.

-After I take the roast out of the pan and put it on a wooden block, I chop about a cups worth of onion and throw it in the pan with some of the drippings and cook them till translucent on the stovetop. Then add a couple cloves of chopped garlic. Heat for a couple more minutes, take out of the pan and place on a small saucer. Now, grab your 2 forks and start shredding the pork. I take the time to pull out any fatty stuff out of the meat as I'm shredding, it's easy to see and to get rid of. After the meat is shredded, add the cooked onion and garlic, plus a little salt, pepper, and Lawry's if your of that persuasion. Mix this in with the forks, I then take a chef's knife and slice some of the bigger pieces of meat finer, but not too much. Put all the meat back into the pan and now you have two options: make a bbq sauce or just pour your favorite stuff onto the meat. I was turned on to Carolina sauce a few years ago and then lost the magazine with the recipe. I finally found another one that is close to what I like. Here is the recipe:

North Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Sauce:
Heat vinegar and sugar till dissolved.
· 3 cups cider vinegar
· 3/4 cup sugar
Add the following, take off heat and stir.
· 1/3 cup ketchup
· 1/4 cup honey
· 1/4 cup kosher salt
· 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
· 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

The only problem with this recipe is that it is huge! I cut it in half and still had some left over.
Anyway, I pour some of this on top of the meat in the pan. When I make a sandwich, I add some more! I also like to take a little bit of a sweet commercial bbq sauce and squirt some of that on top too.

Awfully good!

3 comments:

  1. Dude... that video gave me a woodie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Kenny! I shall have to give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in our oven now as I type! thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete