Sunday, May 18, 2008

Not been the best year so far OR heed warning pain!

All that FWK asks for in life is reasonable weather and an able body to throw over the saddle so he can pedal till his heart is content. We all know that Spring this year has been very shy to show it's warm side. We can have sunny days, which all cyclists appreciate, but, getting over 60 has been a considerable challange for our mother, the earth. Now, I knew I would miss a week of riding due to the surgery mentioned in my previous post. But, I hadn't planned on the latest turn of events: a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), more commonly called a blood clot. These are quite serious, and especially so if ignored. Thankfully, the pain was great enough that I drove myself to the emergency room last Thursday after work to get it diagnosed. Here's the story:

Last Sunday (Mother's Day) I felt a pain in my right calf, nothing serious, but we cyclists are always concious of our legs. The pain got a little worse Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday at work, the company nurse was in. I spoke to her regarding the pain, she said it could be a blood clot and to put a heating pad on it. I got home and decided that I needed a bike ride, as it had been one week since I had pedaled. Just 22 miles in the park and my leg didn't feel any better or worse afterwards. I put the heating pad on for an hour and went to sleep. Woke up at 1:30 to wizz, put my feet on the floor and I could barely walk! Took 4 ibuprofen and strapped the heating pad on again. Got up at 5 to go to work. It's now Thursday, 1:00 PM. My leg is really starting to hurt. I tried calling my clinic, but I couldn't get through. At 3:00, it hurts like hell and I call the clinic again. I spoke with the nurse. There were no openings that day. I asked her if I should go to urgent care or the ER, she said definitely go to the ER. Went there straight from work. They did an ultrasound and confirmed the DVT. Then the nurse told me I would be taking 2 types of blood thinners to dissolve the clot; one oral and one by injection. OK, I thought. Then she said, I'll be bringing you a syringe so you can give yourself the shot and then you'll give the rest of them to yourself at home!
WHAT!! I HAVE TO GIVE MYSELF SHOTS??? She smiled and said "yep!" I've now given myself 6 shots and have 5 to go! You just grab the beer belly fat, stick the needle in, and push down the plunger. Haven't fainted yet, but I do have 6 black and blue spots on my belly.

Anyway, anyone reading this, if you have leg pain below the knee and a swollen calf, get it checked out! I did not have any bruising or lump that I could see or feel. The only way it can be truly diagnosed is with an ultrasound.

Hopefully I'll see you on the road soon.

PS-Our company nurse was wrong. Do NOT put a heating pad on suspected blood clots. This may cause them to break up. That is definitely what you don't want to happen.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kenny,

    We're sorry to hear that you've had such a rough go of it! Why would such a fit... young... athlete... be suffering from a blood clot?! Will this be a temporary condition or will you have to continue to take oral blood thinners?

    In regard to those shots... we couldn't do it either. Can you talk Diane or Charlie into doing that job for you?!

    I think the real problem is that you need to see more of your inlaws.

    Please keep us posted! We love your blog!

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Amigo! It was good talking to you on the phone yesterday. My ride was fun and the single speed was fab. Of course the route I took was pretty flat. Which is nice sometimes.
    Heel well my friend. You'll be back in the saddle before you know it.

    Nigity - "Always keep a smile in your heart."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Jeez Kenny, that is a bit of a serious news. I hope (more than hope) that you experience a speedy recovery. I really admire you for keeping up the blog while dealing with something like that. Quintessential cool, you're the man!

    Take care! JayT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heal well my friend! Jeez my typing, editing, and spelling have gone to hell. Must be the end of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE SAW YOU TODAY - THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!

    love andy

    ReplyDelete